P/T PROGRAM ASSISTANT
Island Readers & Writers (IRW) has been “inspiring a passion for reading and learning among children living on Maine’s coastal and inland islands” since 2007. Based on Mount Desert Island, IRW provides innovative book-based programs for children living in these unique places by connecting them to great stories and the Maine authors and illustrators who create them. We cultivate communities of readers through hands-on, book-related experiences that encourage an excitement about reading and the creativity and curiosity it inspires.
Reporting to the Director of School Programs, the part-time Program Assistant (PA) will be an essential part of the IRW team and a key link to 26 school partners spanning the Maine coast from Casco Bay to Cobscook Bay in the easternmost part of Washington County. He/she will work to build relationships within schools and communities and deep mission impact throughout the area. The Program Assistant will join a deeply committed, talented, and cohesive team that is passionate about creating engaging, meaningful learning opportunities for children through reading.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks:
1. Site Support
• Liaise with school site coordinators (principals, teachers, librarians) to build and maintain IRW presence
• Assist at school events and Author/Illustrator visits. IRW implements 40 programs annually to partner schools and communities
• Willingness to travel, work long hours as needed (in season), and overnight as needed according to school visit schedule needs
• Assist with program evaluation; distribution and collection of surveys; some data entry as needed
• Provide school visit/event summaries and reports when necessary
• Assist with pre-visit IRW orientations at schools
• Help maintain and update Partner Profiles
3. Community Outreach
• Connect with libraries in the communities where we work
• Represent IRW at meetings with other community partners who align with our mission and can add value to our book-based programming (arts, environmental, science, literature, etc.)
• Help research new community partners who may be able to help forward our work around intergenerational reading experiences
• Help prepare information for social media updates to promote and share programs
• Assist with development and distribution of announcements and educational material for events
• Manage phone & email communication as requested by PD to maintain and grow programs
• Attend organization staff meetings as requested
• Monitor current community information as it unfolds and is relevant to IRW
• Help identify books and local authors for IRW program use
• Manage school profiles and status reports
The ideal candidate possesses the following attributes:
– Self-directed team player who can work well independently and virtually
– A natural, proactive, talented communicator as a writer, speaker and listener
– Community development experience, and an awareness of current educational issues, is expected. The PA must value and be a champion of reading and lifelong learning.
– Demonstrated organizational skill and ability to develop trusting and productive interpersonal relationships to advance IRW’s work alongside teachers, PreK-8 students and community partners
Details and Application Information
The Program Assistant is expected to commit to approximately 26+/- hours per week, 50 week per year. This is a year-round position and will require reliable transportation, valid driver’s license and a willingness to travel. Can lift 50 pounds.
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter that states your interest and how your background/experience aligns with IRW and its mission. Please include how you heard about this opportunity.
We will accept applications on an ongoing basis until the position is filled. No phone calls please. Submit to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: PTPA. IRW is an equal-opportunity employer.