How We Do It
We listen, observe, and respond to the needs and interests of the schools, community partners, and children we serve. Then we assume the mantle of catalyst, convener, and collaborator, supported by a steadfast belief in the power of reading to change, grow, and deepen lives.
What’s that process look like?
- Vet books to find just the right story;
- Inspire the integration of a book content across subject areas and grade levels for school visits, and align with community interests and needs for inter-generational programs;
- Identify community resources, connecting the chosen book’s content to the readers’ immediate environment;
- Develop activity sheets to excite and prepare educators and school children for the author visit;
- Work with authors and illustrators, and craft workshop content;
- With the author and/or illustrator, travel by boat, car, or plane to visit children where they live.