- Signs of welcome are everywhere as an IRW visit begins;
- Smiles abound as children delight in meeting and working with authors and illustrators;
- The world opens, as children discuss relevant issues and challenges, encouraging them to think about their responsibilities as citizens;
- Children experience surprise and pride in the acquisition of new skills, in their self-expression through art and writing;
- Teachers observe new approaches and tools for fostering learning that they may integrate into their planning and instruction;
- Schools and communities experience thematic activities and projects through shared reading that result in a sense of pride and celebration;
- Children learn more about themselves, as they formulate questions and contemplate possibilities through deep book exploration;
- Children receive personally inscribed books as a keepsake of a special day.